General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: Webinar #1: Cinema Operations, People Management & Finance Planning @ 16:00 BST on Wednesday 1st April 2020. The Recording is here.
- CJ Cinema Summit – The next #CJCinemaSummit is scheduled for Thursday 09.04.20 at 16.00 GMT, and will include Exhibitors sharing their experience and insights. Make sure to save your spot here. The recording from the first summit is available here. and the second seminar recording is available here. The latest news for this event is here.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This WeekEach week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register: Boxoffichave a list of Webinars as well.
Week Commencing: 13th April
|Monday 13th :||Easter Bank Holiday|
|Tuesday 14th:||Boxoffice Pro Live Sessions with CineEurope @ 16.00 BST|
|Thursday 16th:||CJ Cinema Summit #5 @ 17.00 BST|
|Friday 17th:||CineConf @ 17.00 IST|
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Watch the PORTL Epic Hologram Machine in Action 30th July 2021PORTL, a Los Angeles-based holographics company, is at the cutting edge of virtual technology with the first-ever device that lets people teleport a hologram of themselves to any location around the world and interact with people there in real-time. Source: Watch the PORTL Epic Hologram Machine in Action | HYPEBEAST
- At Cannes, experts assess the export potential of French films 30th July 2021After a quick speech by the CNC’s director of European and International Affairs, Mathieu Fournet, Unifrance’s general director and the moderator of the round-table, Daniela Elstner, introduced the five invited speakers – namely, IFC Films president Arianna Bocco, Cinétival general director Edna Epelbaum, Toronto International Film Festival co-director Joana Vicente, Pathé Films president Ardavan Safaee […]
- Back in Cannes, Sean Penn directs again, with daughter Dylan 30th July 2021Sean Penn has been to the Cannes Film Festival about a dozen times — from bumming around with Robert De Niro in 1984 to presiding over the jury.But his last visit was rocky. Penn’s film, 2016’s “The Last Face,” flopped with critics in way that would make some filmmakers gun shy about returning. Penn, though, […]
- Don’t celebrate Pakistan’s return to the movies just yet 30th July 2021There’s not much of a pipeline of international films and the problems of Pakistan’s film industry remain. Source: Don’t celebrate Pakistan’s return to the movies just yet – Film & TV – Images
- Hausa film explores human tragedy of Islamist violence 30th July 2021A Nigerian film about abducted sisters is due to have its European premiere at the British Film Institute in London on Saturday.The film’s director, Desmond Ovbiagele, told BBC’s Newsday insecurity had become a problem in the African continent and it was important to tell the story of the victims. Source: Hausa film explores human tragedy […]
- The Office at 20: Why we’re all David Brent now 30th July 2021Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant’s office-life mockumentary first aired 20 years ago but its influence on shows from ‘Twenty Twelve’ to ‘Parks and Recreation’ has been immense. As for its central character, that’s how we live now Source: The Office at 20: Why we’re all David Brent now | The Independent
- For Film’s Sake and Sydney Film Festival partner on prizes, incubator program 30th July 2021For Film’s Sake (FFS), the advocacy organisation behind the female-focused film lab Attagirl, has joined with Sydney Film Festival (SFF) to announce two new prizes and an incubator program aimed at supporting filmmakers of diverse backgrounds. Source: For Film’s Sake and Sydney Film Festival partner on prizes, incubator program – IF Magazine
- U.K. Studio Boom “White Hot” Despite a Year of Lockdowns 30th July 2021Hollywood tentpoles and high-end TV are driving production activity to record heights: “This bottleneck was built because of COVID-19.” Source: U.K. Studio Boom “White Hot” Despite a Year of Lockdowns – The Hollywood Reporter
- India, U.K. Discuss Co-Production at Cannes Virtual India Pavilion 30th July 2021While India does not have its usual physical pavilion at the Cannes market this year, due to pandemic travel restrictions, and Bollywood stars aren’t setting the red carpet on fire, the business of cinema continues to be discussed at the virtual India pavilion. At a lively session on Thursday, moderated by Vikramjit Roy, head of […]
- The stars who agreed to help celebrate Elstree’s cinema history – and the one who didn’t 30th July 2021This week, memory lane takes us back 25 years to when the British Film Institute decided that 200 film plaques should be erected around the UK and they would be free, so I applied and received 20. This was in recognition of the unique film history of Elstree and Borehamwood. Source: The stars who agreed […]
- ‘Increasing dismay’ of deaf film-makers over control of BSL broadcasting trust 30th July 2021A group of deaf film-makers say they are “increasingly dismayed” by a charity’s failure to ensure it is run by users of British Sign Language (BSL), even though it spends about £2 million every year commissioning television programmes in BSL. Source: ‘Increasing dismay’ of deaf film-makers over control of BSL broadcasting trust – Disability News […]
- A journey down the A23 and into film production 30th July 2021Rising film producer Yaw Basoah is a South Londoner with long-term memories of Brixton. Simone Richardson spoke to him about films, art and the importance of life outside work Source: A journey down the A23 and into film production | Brixton Blog
- How the Global Screen Fund is supporting two Cannes-bound British films 30th July 2021The UK Global Screen Fund is making a mark on the Croisette through its support of two British films that illustrate perfectly the fund’s international focus. Source: How the Global Screen Fund is supporting two Cannes-bound British films | Features | Screen
- 19 Wild Deleted Scenes And Alternate Endings That Would’ve REALLY Changed Your Favorite Movies 30th July 2021The alternate ending of The Lion King where Simba DIES is horrific. Source: 19 Movie Deleted Scenes/Alternate Endings
- Caravan brings Indigenous films to Kanesatake 30th July 2021A traveling silver screen presenting short films by Indigenous filmmakers brought Kanehsata’kehró:non to a unique viewing under the stars late last week.The event organized by Wapikoni was part of the organization’s latest “Cinema on Wheels” tour, set to end on September 1, which screened July 15 and 16. “When I came into this position, I […]
- Do you know who wrote your favourite film? 30th July 2021“Film is thought of as a director’s medium,” the great Billy Wilder once said, “because the director creates the end product that appears on the screen. It’s that stupid auteur theory again, that the director is the author of the film. But what does the director shoot — the telephone book?” Source: Do you know […]
- An indie film lover’s dream: Filmzie is an ode to movie buffs (and it’s free) 30th July 2021You might think that you don’t need any more streaming services the way it is, but if you’re like us and you can’t get enough of independent, bizarre and cult movies, you might need to consider adding one more to your roster. Filmzie has come to town and it’s a love letter to all the […]
- Have These 30 Iconic Movies Aged Well Or Not? 30th July 2021In the past, we’ve asked the BuzzFeed Community what popular movies they think haven’t aged well. This poll features many of the films that they mentioned and now I want to know what you think of them. If you haven’t seen a movie, skip the question or click “View results.” Source: Have These 30 Iconic […]
- 30 Actors Good Vs. Bad Onscreen Chemistry Movies 30th July 2021We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us which actors had the best *and* worst onscreen chemistry in movies (to get a full picture of romantic relationships in film). Here’s what they had to say… Source: 30 Actors Good Vs. Bad Onscreen Chemistry Movies
- Horror Movie Stars You Might Not Know Died 30th July 2021If you’re any sort of a fan of horror movies, then you’ll be plenty aware of how even the smallest of roles and briefest of performances can remain memorable for years — even decades — to come. So, it can be more than a little crushing to discover that there are horror movie stars you […]