General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: Webinar #1: Cinema Operations, People Management & Finance Planning @ 16:00 BST on Wednesday 1st April 2020. The Recording is here.
- CJ Cinema Summit – The next #CJCinemaSummit is scheduled for Thursday 09.04.20 at 16.00 GMT, and will include Exhibitors sharing their experience and insights. Make sure to save your spot here. The recording from the first summit is available here. and the second seminar recording is available here. The latest news for this event is here.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This WeekEach week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register: Boxoffichave a list of Webinars as well.
Week Commencing: 13th April
|Monday 13th :||Easter Bank Holiday|
|Tuesday 14th:||Boxoffice Pro Live Sessions with CineEurope @ 16.00 BST|
|Thursday 16th:||CJ Cinema Summit #5 @ 17.00 BST|
|Friday 17th:||CineConf @ 17.00 IST|
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Cinionic Offers Support to Exhibitors 25th September 2020For the past few months, movie theatres around the world have been working hard to prepare to welcome audiences back safely. In response, Cinionic, the Barco, ALPD, and CGS cinema joint venture, launched the #CinemaReady campaign. The initiative celebrates the shared love for the big screen experience and provides resources on what to expect during your next […]
- MetaMedia Entertainment Network Grows 25th September 2020MetaMedia has announced that it has added five major and independent cinema chains across the U.S. and Canada to the MetaMedia Entertainment Network, what the company calls the first global cloud-based distribution platform for content producers and cinemas. The list includes Cinemark USA (the third largest exhibitor in North America and fourth largest exhibitor globally), Cinépolis USA Movie Theaters & Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas (the largest cinema chain […]
- QSC Announces New Q-SYS Core Processors 25th September 2020QSC today announces two new audio, video, and control processors native to the Q-SYS Ecosystem – the smaller Q-SYS Core 8 Flex and Q-SYS Core Nano. Driven by the proliferation of networked endpoints and the expanding processing needs of a wider variety of spaces and topologies, the Core 8 Flex includes onboard analog audio I/O […]
- Christie redefines PLF cinema experience with CP4450-RGB – the brightest direct-coupled RGB pure laser projector on the market 25th September 2020Christie®, a global leader in digital cinema projection and audio technologies, is redefining the movie-going experience for Premium Large Format (PLF) theatres with its state-of-the-art RGB pure laser cinema projector that deliver incredibly colourful and detailed visuals. The Christie CP4450-RGB large-format projector, equipped with dual-laser optical systems (LOS) and high-speed CineLife+ electronics capable of 4K […]
- Cinema’s bad boys the toast of boozy San Sebastian festival 25th September 2020This year’s San Sebastian Film Festival proved something of a safe space for cinema’s miscreants. The festival is one of the biggest fixtures on the cinema calendar and, like Venice, defied COVID-19 with a full program of real films in actual cinemas. Source: https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/
- ‘Dora and the Lost City of Gold’ Tops Imagen Awards 25th September 2020Apple’s ‘Little America’ and NBC’s ‘Law & Order: SVU’ won multiple prizes at the event to recognize Latino talent. Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dora-and-the-lost-city-of-gold-tops-imagen-awards
- Cinema halls in Singapore to allow up to 150 patrons from October 25th September 2020According to a new COVID-19 regulations update from the city-state’s Ministry Of Health yesterday (September 23), cinemas with big halls such as Shaw Theatres Lido IMAX will be allowed to increase their capacity limit from October 1. Patrons will be separated into three zones of up to 50 people each. Source: https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/film/cinema
- The Inside Story of How NYFF 2020 Became America’s First Big Pandemic-Era Film Festival 25th September 2020For many, the fall conjures up images of pumpkin spice lattes, flannel shirts, or the return of football. For me, the one constant of the season in recent memory has been the New York Film Festival, which I’ve attended in some form since my final year of college in 2014. As the leaves change and […]
- THE HIDDEN DRIVE-IN LAUNCHES A MOVIE EXPERIENCE ON THE WATER 25th September 2020The Hidden Drive-In, a program that showcases live concerts and films around the city, is launching a new socially distanced event that brings film to the water. On Saturday, The Hidden Drive-In is presenting “Water Cinema,” an event in which guests can rent paddleboards and kayaks to enjoy an outdoor movie. High-lumen films will […]
- Caliber Home Loans commissions filmmakers to create short films about home 25th September 2020Caliber Home Loans has commissioned three independent filmmakers to create short films about the concept of home as part of its Caliber Kindness initiative, an effort to benefit community support services during the COVID-19 pandemic. “The concept of home is changing,” Caliber said in an email to MPA. “Homes have typically been viewed as a sanctuary […]
- New Cuts Art Centre looks to a brighter future with the help of PROLIGHTS LED fixtures 25th September 2020The PROLIGHTS LED lighting range provides the ideal solution for multi-purpose venue, New Cuts Art Centre (The Cut), Suffolk. Since opening its doors 17 years ago, creative entertainment, education and enterprise hub, The Cut, has gone from strength to strength, becoming a centre for arts in the community and now offers a full programme of […]
- Tribeca Film Festival to Add Video Games to Official Selections 25th September 2020Video games will be added to Tribeca Film Festival’s program of official selections in 2021, organizers revealed on Thursday. Chosen projects will also be eligible for a new honor; the Tribeca Games Award, recognizing games that demonstrate artistic excellence in storytelling. Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tribeca-film-festival-add-video-games-official-selections
- Row House Cinema partners with The Terminal for month-long Drive-In Cinema event 25th September 2020The drive-in theater experience comes to the city of Pittsburgh when Row House Cinema presents a special, month-long pop-up at The Terminal in the Strip District. Source: https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/
- Rooftop Cinema Club will turn Armature Works into a drive-in theatre 25th September 2020Drive-in, and boat-in film experiences are on the rise across the country. Soon, Armature Works will join the festivities with a drive-in movie event of its own. This new event is made possible through the Los Angeles-based Rooftop Cinema Club. The company brings its fun, contact-free drive-in experience to Armature Works in Tampa on Oct. […]
- The Regal Cinema wins national award for lockdown screenings 25th September 2020A cinema in Fordingbridge has scooped a national award for its efforts trying to keep its audience entertained during lockdown. The Regal Cinema on Shaftesbury Street has been crowned winner of the Audience category at this year’s Film Society of the Year Awards. Source: https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/
- Voluntary cinema pleased to see audience return after lockdown 25th September 2020A voluntary cinema group are delighted to have their audience back and hopes a major part of the cinema experience returns shortly. Source: https://www.fakenhamtimes.co.uk/news/
- Review: Werner Herzog’s Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds 25th September 2020Filmmaker Werner Herzog and volcanologist Clive Oppenheimer team up again for Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds, which stands as something of a companion piece to their previous collaboration, 2016’s Into the Inferno. Where the earlier film followed them on a globetrotting game of hopscotch to gaze into the hellmouth abyss of active volcanoes (and obsess […]
- Netflix Reveals First Look At New Horror Comedy Vampires Vs. The Bronx 25th September 2020Like their undead cousins the zombies, stories about vampires will never go out of fashion, but with such saturation comes the problem of how to do anything new with them. Horror comedy Vampires vs. the Bronx, for which a batch of images has been released, might just manage to bring us something fresh, though. Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/images-released-horror-comedy-vampires-bronx/
- ‘Young people have an amazing sense of humour, because the world is ridiculous’: How Rocks is revolutionising British cinema 25th September 2020It’s worth sticking around for the end credits of Rocks, a disarming, dazzling study of friendship amid a group of east-London-born teenage girls. Not for any Marvel-style bonus footage, but for the rare clarification that pops up after the names of the young, mostly non-professional actors have shimmied across the screen: “The cast and many […]
- Dublin cinemas closed under new restrictions 25th September 2020All Dublin cinemas, including the recently reopened IFI, are closed until further notice. Source: https://entertainment.ie/cinema/movie-news/dublin-cinemas-closed-level-3-462659/